The New Global Journalism
The Tuesday, Sept. 30 All-Class Lecture panel will discuss how digital technology has changed the work of journalists covering international events. #CJSACL Read more
2014 Chancellor Award Winner
Martin Smith, who has covered the world for 40 years, is the recipient of the 2014 John Chancellor Award. Here, he interviews a Saudi cleric in 2002 for PBS FRONTLINE's "In Search of Al Qaeda." Read more
Specialization in Data Journalism
Our data specialization builds on what the school does best: train world-class journalists. The specialization is open to part-time and full-time M.S. students. Read more
Turning a Thesis Into a Published Story
M.A. #cuj14 Brian Mastroianni sold his thesis on mime therapy to The Atlantic. He says Columbia provided him with the resources to publish the story with a video digital skills class and close mentorship with a professor. Read more
Columbia Journalism School turns students into high-impact journalists.
Our Master of Science students develop fundamental reporting and writing skills and professional ethics—in addition to the digital fluency that 21st-century journalism demands.
Master of Arts students dig deeper. By combining three or more years of professional journalism experience with a concentration of their choosing—such as science, health and the environment, business, politics, or arts & culture—our students become stronger reporters, editors, and producers, able clearly to convey subject-area expertise.
Our Ph.D. program connects the field of communications with an academic study of the humanities to enhance the understanding of media.
Why Columbia Journalism School?
· Go digital. Our cutting-edge, revamped program reflects the profound changes in the profession. We teach our students to be 21st-century journalists.
· Learn from the best. Our faculty members, all distinguished journalists, teach and mentor our students at the only journalism school in the Ivy League.
· Make New York City your beat. We live and work in the media capital of the world. What better place to uncover, analyze, and explain the important stories of our time?
· Accelerate your career. In one school year, you’ll develop skills that take years to build in the field—and that will put you at the head of the pack.
· Be in demand. Our alumni are some of the most respected journalists in the world, and our grads have excellent job prospects.
M.A. Deadline - Submit Non-Print Thesis Pitch
Columbus Day - NOT A HOLIDAY AT JOURNALISM SCHOOL
Fall 2014 Semester Ends